Monday 2 February 2009

Freeze dry

Managed to down tools and get out onto Moel Famau Sunday afternoon. Took Dot with me for company. First time running on the hill for quite a while. Decided to take the pace nice and easy for the first 2 miles up to the steep section, a good plan - as I found the steepness no worse than it ever is. Interesting conditions under foot, the earth was bone dry and concrete hard with temperature down to minus 2 feeling even lower in the considerable wind chill. My knees were freezing! and feeling quite numb. I took some of the steeper decents slower than normal because of this. I was soon over the top of Moel Famau and on the slightly more sheltered side of the hill, temperatures here were a sultry minus 1.5. The Russian snow was beginning to stick on the freezing dry surfaces as I made my way back to the car. 11 miles in 2hrs 9mins. Kept my heart rate sensibly low at 143 average, rarely climbing much above 160 over the 1907ft total ascent. A good session and really nice to be in the hills. Forgot to take my camera so pics next time.

No comments: